Taking good care of your hearing aids can help extend their life and ensure they continue to perform well. Here are some useful tips.
- Clean your hearing aids every day. Use a soft cloth, tissue or special hearing aid brush to wipe the outside. Never use alcohol or cleansers. They harm the internal components and circuitry.
- Use a dehumidifier kit regularly to prevent moisture from entering the hearing aids and damaging the components. You may be able to purchase one from your hearing healthcare professional.
- Use a wax loop or brush to remove ear wax and other debris. Never use a straight pin or other sharp object to clean wax from your hearing aids.
- Replace behind-the-ear earmolds when they become dry, cracked, stiff or discolored.
- Store hearing aids in a cool, dry place.
- Open the battery doors when they’re not in use.
- Protect your hearing aids from excessive heat (hair dryer, vehicle glove compartment or dashboard).
- Do not get hearing aids wet. Remove hearing aids when swimming, showering, perspiring, etc.
- Apply hair care products before putting on your hearing aids.
- Take your hearing aids to your hearing healthcare professional for regular servicing and performance checks.
- Avoid dropping or banging your hearing aids on hard surfaces.
- Store batteries in a dry, safe location away from children and pets.
- Replace dead batteries immediately.
- Always recycle or discard batteries carefully.
The Unitron support team is here to help. Learn more about important topics and find resources that will help you with all of your Unitron products.